Sunday, July 1, 2012

"Everything that is Done in the World is Done by Hope." ~Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Kenya was AMAZING and I'm sure I'll go back again.  We got a lot accomplished while we were there this time, as a team.  But one of my favorite things that I got to do with the girls at the orphanage we were working with was a video postcard between them and the kids at the Pomona Hope Summer Enrichment Program here at home!

Part of the curriculum of the program was learning about people in other places.  In fact, they were going through a book that presented statistics about the world in a really interesting way: "If the world were a village with 100 people, "so many" people would have electricity."  The Summer Interns definitely did a good job with the whole program this year.  They also did a great job with the videos that they sent to us in Kenya.

The girls at Providence Children's Home were VERY excited to be able to talk to and learn more about kids out here. The moment I presented it to them, their eyes got big and they got huge smiles.  And once they got in front of the camera, they completely took charge and knew exactly what they wanted to say and what questions they wanted to ask.  It was fabulous to see how much these older girls have grown into leaders.

The best of all of this for me was that all these kids that I love got to meet each other!  From all the way across the world!!!

I'll let the kids speak for themselves.  I want to apologize for the video quality from Kenya.  For some reason it looked perfect on the tablet I had and then uploaded to youtube with issues.  It is not my spiritual gift.  I also want to apologize for there not being more.  I wanted there to be, but internet was only available to us in one room at the school, and we lost it for good several days before we left.






Unfortunately, that last question never got answered, since that's when we lost internet.  On the bright side, I did leave the camera and instructions for how to post videos for us to see there.  And one of the things we did as a group was provide a computer lab for the school.  So we may be seeing more videos in the future.

We did get to send a video to the kids at Pomona Hope about Switzerland too.  I hope Megan doesn't mind that I post this here.  She's another volunteer for Pomona Hope who went with me on this trip, so I had her narrate to tell the kids what we had done so far in Switzerland, from the top of Mt. Rigi.


If you like the work we're doing, please visit the "Donate Now" tab at the top of the page.  And if you want to support me, personally, please type "Kids Coordinator" into the Comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember what your mother taught you: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.