Monday, July 8, 2013

“Remember, Hope is a Good Thing, Maybe the Best of Things, and No Good Thing Ever Dies.” ~Stephen King

The first week of Summer Enrichment with Pomona Hope went swimmingly!  We had plenty of volunteers, about a bajillion (not really) students, and for the most part, everyone was pretty well behaved.  The only talking out of turn that I noticed in my workshops were because the students were so engaged, so I find it hard to punish at that time.

Emily said that the first day was the smoothest first day she'd ever seen... which concerns me a little since it was so crazy (at least the prep part and the very beginning), but as the coordinator for the day, I have to admit that it did go really well while I was coordinating.

It was a short week due to the Independence Day holiday (which I hope went well for you all).  We only had one history workshop this week, but it was awesome!  Mr. Bob (Bob Beck, from La Verne Heights Presbyterian Church) came in as a guest speaker and showed the kids a bunch of artifacts from the area, some going all the way back to 1820!  As a cultural historian, he is interested in how people lived before today, so he has all kinds of interesting things that even *I* had never seen before and wouldn't have known what to do with it if it fell in my lap.

History Workshop





 
Junior really wanted a picture with Mr. Bob!

What's a record?

I know! I know!

Can't decide which camera to look at.

That moment when you realize you're holding $100,000 dollars...

Receipt for a slave, dated 1820

Gas mask for what?!

We all know that one!

A couple of stragglers.  Can't be upset with their interest!
Even the middle school kids are interested!
Drama Workshop : Learning Lines
























Science Workshop: Electromagnets



Garden Workshop: Personal Herb Gardens (It's HOT!)


















Computer Workshop: Time to Type!

Learning what to do before distracted.

Pictures? Really?


Very concentrated

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember what your mother taught you: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.