Friday, February 21, 2014

"Never Talk Defeat. Use Words Like Hope, Belief, Faith, Victory." ~Norman Vincent Peale

It was another short week, because of the President's Day holiday (which the staff got off of work!  YAY!).  Here's a few things going on this week.

New Student!
We have a new 5th grader!  He started yesterday and he seems really sweet.  Unfortunately, I was coordinating, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with him, but I did check in occasionally, and it seemed like one of our very regular, expected volunteers was taking him under his wing.  It's no wonder the kids think of this volunteer as like an older brother. :-)

ATTITUDES!
Our older kids especially are getting a little too entitled for our liking.  Trying to find loopholes in the rules.  Complaining about something to the point that several of them refuse to participate (which often makes it difficult, if not impossible, for everyone else to participate!).  And when we do give them options and follow through on some of their choices, they complain about that!  

How do you deal with junior high attitudes?  You know the ones:  Where it's cool to think that nothing is cool?  I know it's a very important, sensitive, life directing time, but it's also very annoying!  Junior High teachers, school administrators, and leaders of all kinds have always had my utmost respect.  They are very brave individuals.

Random Guy-- Encouraging Hope
Yesterday I was coordinating and it was the day for our Garden Workshop.  I walked a Kindergarten-aged student who came late over at one point, and I noticed an older guy watching us from his car.  As I walked away from the Garden after dropping the kid off, and I saw that this guy was now out of his car.  It looked like he was waiting for someone in the neighboring apartments, and watching the class just because it was the only thing to see in the neighborhood.  This guy was middle-aged, bigger, wearing a tank top, a baseball cap, and a lot of tattoos.  I greeted him on my way out of the garden, making eye-contact so he knew that I was watching.  And then he turned out to be really friendly!  He started talking about how great it was that we were doing that for the kids.  He mentioned that he grew up in Pomona and has lived in San Dimas for 25 years now, because he had to get away.  I told him I did the opposite.

But he seemed really encouraged by what we were doing, and kept saying that he thought that the reason so many kids join gangs in the area is because they don't get the love that they need at home, so it was good that we were offering that love to the neighborhood kids, just in case any of them are missing that love.

Took this picture immediately after the conversation.
That conversation, which started out potentially scary, ended up putting me in a good mood AND gave me a lot of hope for our kids' futures.

Fundraising Campaign
Is going well!  But I still need about $900 more dollars coming in monthly (on a regular basis... it really is easier to calculate that way).  Please, please PLEASE share either of the two links below with your friends!

For easy, one-time donations: http://pomonahope.causevox.com/

To sign up for recurring donations, or just one time with no extra frills (directly through our website): http://www.pomonahope.org/donate/donate-online/
But for this one they need to remember to type "Kids Coordinator" in the comments box!

THANK YOU!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember what your mother taught you: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.