Friday, March 21, 2014

“May You Have Enough Happiness to Make You Sweet, Enough Trials to Make You Strong, Enough Sorrow to Keep You Human Enough Hope to Make You Happy.” ~ Victor Hugo

Spring Break!  (Part One)
This week was Spring Break for the Claremont Colleges, where we get a pretty good percentage of our volunteers.  Many of them were out of town for the week for some (much needed) R&R.  I thought that we'd be really hurting for volunteers, but thankfully, many of our volunteers were still able to come at their regular times, AND some were even able to come longer or more often to help us make up the difference! We had plenty of volunteers for everything!  Thank you SO MUCH to the volunteers who were able to come in this week to help out!  You're wonderful!

Todd came in to help out Monday!  Then he was roped into a game of air hockey where his opponent likes to cheat.
Next week, there will be no program, but we'll be taking many of our high school students on field trips to colleges in the area.  Jeff came up with and planned the whole thing, so next week I'll be going on the field trips the day they go to APU and the Claremont Colleges.  (I hope I don't ruin my half of the APU tour!) Updates to come!

Car Show!
Pomona Hope will be the Charity of Choice this Saturday, March 22 for Stay Gold Barber Shop's 1st Annual Car and Bike Show.  

We'll be at/ near: 168 E 1st St, Pomona, CA 91766.  

Please stop by and show your support!  It's all free!  Come!  Enjoy live music, great old cars and bikes, and mingle with a fun crowd!  

Pomona Hope will be there from 8 am-4 pm, giving out popcorn and PH Keychains and offering face painting for the kiddos.  Sometime mid-day Jeff will be giving a brief intro to Pomona Hope.  

Board Games
After last week's blog post, my dad asked if the kids also liked another game he had purchased at the same time as Ivanhoe, at which point I had to tell him that both copies of that game actually went with me to Kenya for the girls at the orphanage there to play.  So he basically said, "No problem!" and picked up another 2 copies of "No Thanks!" at the game store he frequents on Saturday.  

Monday, I brought in the games and basically forced a few kids to play a round with me.  For some reason, our kids are both perpetually bored and hate trying anything new (we're working on it).  Once we finished the game, the ones who played wanted to play again and a couple more wanted to join in.  I gave up my spot, and they kept going until snack time was over.



Here's the kids playing Ivanhoe later in the day (during a time specifically set aside for Board Games).


Bible Study Party
This week marked the end of the bible study curriculum for the year for our two oldest groups.  The volunteers who have been running it threw a party for the kids in their studies.  I got to help out with the party for the 4th-6th graders.
I was hoping for less of a prison-looking photo, but I kinda had to threaten a warning if they didn't all look at the camera at the same time.

This is what they actually wanted to do.


Taking pictures of people taking pictures.

He's offering you some chicken.


Some of our wonderful bible study volunteers!
They also gave out surveys for the kids to take and have already sent us the answers!  Here are some of my favorites:
1)                  How have your thoughts about God or Jesus changed since coming to Bible Study?
  • They have teached me new things and easier ways to see life
  • That God has your back no matter what and he has trusted you
  • My thoughts about God/Jesus changed tremendously by coming to Bible Study because now I know that Jesus was very caring and was generous to everyone
  • I have less space in my brain  

2)                  Has your desire to know God and have a relationship with Him increased since coming to Bible Study? 
  • Yes it has because I got closer to getting to know God
  • My relationship on knowing God has increased because now that I know something about him I want to know more 
  • For me, it has increased now that I know more about him 
  • My desire to be with him grew because I trusted him and he responded to my prayers 

3)                  What did you learn in Bible Study that was helpful at home or at school?
  • To listen to my parents.
  • I learned to love someone without judging and it has helped in school
  • To be who you are and not to be who you want to be
  • I had learn that being greedy isn't going to be helpful in life and it will make me not be able to love 
  • I learned to not be mean to others, but to be nice and honest, and when I'm honest I shouldn't say hard things that will hurt their feelings  

Thank you to Lifesong Community Church, and especially the volunteers they've sent us, who brought us this opportunity to reach out to our kids so they could learn about the Person of Jesus!

Fundraising
I sent out another letter last week and I've already received responses!  Thank you so much for your support!

If you know anyone else who might be interested in helping out, they can go here for a one-time donation with a cool progress bar, or here to set up one-time or recurring (yes, please!) donations.
Who wouldn't want to work with these cute kids?

In Other Random News...
Last week, my dog had an allergic reaction, and trips to the emergency vet are expensive.  On Saturday, Kevin and I rode our bikes down to the local Farmer's Market and bought the most amazing Rosemary Garlic Sourdough bread, many of the ingredients for a delicious dinner, and my 4th box of Do-Si-Dos for GS cookie season from one of my kids/dealers.  Later I finished reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green while I waited for my friend, Amy, to come over to eat pie and hang out.  My alternative was to unpack, and I want the unpacking elves to do that for me.  The odds get better the longer I wait, right?

At some point this week, I made it up to season 4 of Doctor Who on Hulu (that is my cable).  But it's hard to tell when, because I turn it on at bedtime and promptly fall asleep.

Oh!  Did I mention a couple weeks ago I rode my new bike to work and didn't hit-- or get hit by-- anything?  Kevin bought it for me for our anniversary and took me to Santa Barbara (for the first time ever!) to ride for the first time in 20 years.  While that part was a little scary, it was SOOOO nice to not have to worry about real world, grown-up things for a couple days.
New question for God:  Just... how?!
See?  I don't JUST work all the time.  But I have to admit, these past few weeks, I've done better than most in recent memory at budgeting my time to be more balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember what your mother taught you: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.