Friday, March 14, 2014

"Things Never Go So Well That One Should Have No Fear, and Never So Ill That One Should Have No Hope." ~Turkish proverb

Tragedy in the Neighborhood
A friend of some of our students died last week.  From what I understand, he had some kind of tumor.  He didn't attend here, but I heard 4 or 5 of our students talking about it with each other last Thursday in the Garden as they were walking to the plots.  These kids weren't all the same grade level or group in our program, or even at the same school, but they knew him, and they were becoming kind of a support group for each other.  I'm glad that we gave them a place to talk it out with each other, however informally.  It's still better than not getting to talk to anyone at all.
Miss Barb leading Garden Workshop

Everyone loves Junior


Sometimes, Math is Hard
Tuesday, while the youngest group was taking their 2-minute math tests, one of our 1st graders raised her hand to ask for help (which they usually don't do, since it's a test, for which they only have 2 minutes).  I overheard as a volunteer went over to help her and she asked, "How do I do this one? [Pointing at a 13+9 problem]  I ran out of fingers."

It took all my restraint to NOT tell her to take off her shoes.

Sidewalk Chalk
We've been opening early this week (and will next week as well), since the elementary schools are getting out early.  Monday, for the extra hour we had at the beginning of programs, we had the kids play in the church courtyard with sidewalk chalk.  I grabbed a piece and took it over to a shady area to draw a hopscotch court (per Emily's suggestion).  A few kids followed me with their own pieces of chalk and started drawing things behind me as I worked backwards.  Our student, whom I mentioned in my last post, who doesn't speak a whole lot of English, was drawing closest to me, and I ended up next to him after a few hopscotch squares.  He eventually looked up as I was getting closer to the end, and saw what I was drawing.  At that point, he dropped what he was doing and jumped up excitedly to stand at the beginning of the court, squirming while waiting for me to finish drawing.  As soon as I was done, he started skipping through.  Other students (who don't even speak Spanish) joined him, and they all worked together to extend the court and add numbers to the boxes ("Liz, you did it wrong!").

Other students joined us in the massive shady area between the education building, out of which we operate, and the sanctuary, to draw whatever pictures they wanted.  Apparently, some of them colored their artwork in really dark (thick?  What do you call it when it's pastel-colored chalk?).  The next day, there was still enough of it for one of our girls to rub her hands all over it, and then rub it all over her face.  I don't know why, but she was really proud of it.  And ultimately, it was cute.



New Games
My dad really likes all kinds of board/card/computer games, and that's the environment I grew up in.  So it makes me a little sad whenever the kids get a chance to play board games and they don't want to try anything new, despite the fact that they've gotten older (4th-10th grade), because they already know how to play the games they learned in 1st or 2nd grade (I'm looking at you, UNO, Sorry, and Life).  Some of our kids don't even know how to play Yahtzee!

As you can imagine, I can see the good that comes out of board games:  They teach you the importance of rules, strategy, taking turns.  They can also teach you anything from colors and numbers to heavier math, rule interpretation, history, science, etc. (all depends on the game).

I mentioned in past posts that our Optional Homework Hour, which is held 3 days a week, had kind of become a chess club for students waiting for their siblings to finish their homework during that time.  But chess can be hard to play with 3 or more people.  At some point in the past couple months, Kevin started bringing "Magic: The Gathering" decks down to teach the kids that game, and a few of them are fascinated with it.  They want to be able to buy cards for the game from our store.  We're working on this.

A year or so ago, my dad donated a couple copies of a game that most people haven't heard of called, "Ivanhoe".  It's kind of like a cross between Uno, poker, and BS all dressed up to look Medieval.  I've tried a couple times to get kids to play it, but time was usually limited to 30 minutes, and by the time I got it out and reviewed and explained the rules, it was more like 5 minutes of game time.  BUT with an hour, I managed to get a few kids to play it long enough to get hooked, who then introduced it to more kids in the program during times that they have completed their homework and are designated for board game activities.  Now I have a few junior highers asking if they can play it every day, which is a good way to motivate at least those few to do their homework quickly and accurately (I told them those were the conditions).  They've also been asking if they could buy them in the store.
Ivanhoe today
Kevin teaching Ivanhoe

Yahtzee!!!


New Computers Set-Up!
As I type this, we have a team from Home Depot, who we linked up with through one of our wonderful volunteers. They are installing new blinds in our computer lab, taking out the old computers, desks, and chairs, and setting up new computers, desks and chairs.  This team is putting me to shame with their sheer strength.  I watched a young woman smaller than me carry two bulky computers out of the room no problem!  I may be able to lift the weight of two, but they're so big, I get nervous lifting them at the same time, because I'm afraid that they're so awkward I'll drop them.

These folks are awesome!  And with the new computers, we'll be able to have more than 6 kids working on something at a time!  (That seemed to be the only computers functional and connecting to the internet recently.)  Thanks to everyone who has donated to support the new technology!!!
Old chairs on their way out.

My Homework Room is a little bit in disarray.

Some of our awesome helpers!

More awesome helpers.

I'm really into candid shots.

Mid-work shot: old desks/set up

Old desks and room arrangement

Old desks

Where all the old stuff went.  We actually use this room...
New everything!!!

Jeff's happy!

Fundraising
If you are reading this as one of my supporters, I want to thank you sooo much!  This is my attempt to keep you up to date regularly on what's going on.  And if you know anyone else who might have a heart for what Pomona Hope is doing, and what I am doing here, please send this link to them for one-time donations: http://pomonahope.causevox.com/.

If you are checking out what's going on here, I'll tell you now that this entire program is run with a staff of 3 people and a whole lot of wonderful volunteers.  Being one of the staff, I have to fundraise my own salary to continue working here.  Please consider donating to the link above, or regularly here, and include "Kids Coordinator" in the comments box.

Thank you again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember what your mother taught you: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.